Saturday, August 12, 2006

WSOP Winner Chip Envy

I read hours of entries on blogs regarding Jamie Gold's WSOP Main Event win and was forced to face a fact that my husband has contended as the reason he doesn't play "competitive" poker...most poker players are total A**holes.

Those who thought Jamie Gold did not deserve the win; was a donkey; a troll; idiot, etc. outnumbered those with kudos by at least 10 to 1. A few even made disparaging remarks about his mother.

One blog entry I read ridiculed him for winning the final hand with a Q9; I guess that person is not aware that the reason a "10 2" hand is called "the Dolly" is because that is the hand that Doyle Brunson was holding when he won BOTH of his WSOP Main Event bracelets.

Perhaps because I am a "newbie"; novice, etc. I don't understand the nuances of Gold's game and I confess that I did not watch the PPV.

But this I do know; no one can play twelve to fourteen hours a day for ten days and make the final table without a combination of both luck and skill. And anyone who says otherwise is a fool.

No comments: