Saturday, July 22, 2006

Breakfast at the Open Championship - 5am

The only sport I like more than poker is golf; so I set my alarm clock for 4am to get up and watch the third round of the 135th Open (British Open for those who don't follow golf). However, unlike poker, with golf I am only a spectator and for good reason. If I can't be good, why bother? With poker, I have a shot; with golf, yeah, right.

And, of course, with spectator golf, you can always play poker online. I just signed up for a NL freeroll at Absolute that starts at 545am. Multi-tasking at its best.

Spaulding is asleep on my desk blotter; he's the tomcat that runs the house and calls most of the shots. "Spaulding Grey" is a grey-striped tuxedo cat that moved in last summer and decided to let us stay and hang around the house with him. Our first encounter (before his taking possession of the house) resulted in a tetanus shot for me. However, fool that I am, continued to feed him. And what a reward, after a year he walked into my office, jumped up on the chair by my desk and went to sleep. The beginning of a great friendship. Spaulding follows in the steps of some great cats...when I know you better, I'll tell you about Mike Tyson, our street fighter, R.I.P.

545am The Freeroll is starting with 1455 players...cards in the air; shuffle up and deal...

Hand 1 - Q3 os - I fold.
Hand 2 - Pocket Js - There are 3 ways to play pocket Jacks and they're all wrong... but this time I got lucky and won 450 chip pot.

There's a guy at the table "McUnanan" from Canberra whose ID pic is Hitler. Another person asked him if he was a Nazi and he started a barrage of Jewish slurs. I chatted that I'm Jewish and he chatted back calling me a "National Zionist, Jew Bas***d" - what a guy. His momma must be proud. Anti-Semitism alive and well in Canberra. I should block his chat; but like a train wreck, I have to look.

6am - the field is already down to 905 - that's a freeroll for you - should be called "all-in holdem".

Nasty table - lots of players calling each other a**es and the Nazi keeps shouting "Sieg Heil"...once more proving that poker happens...

I'm getting lousy cards - haven't played a hand since the pocket Jacks...and almost every hand, someone goes All-in.

The Nazi just got eliminated - went all-in with a 92 os... I know I'll miss him. I do regret that I wasn't the one to put him out.

Sheese...I can't even bluff with these cards...brb...gotta refresh my coffee...

615am - down to 553 players and I still haven't played (even in the blinds) since the Jacks... gonna have to start moving soon. The leader has 29K chips...

OK, I'm the button with a J9 os - raised to 240 and, of course, someone goes allin...I fold...allin had KQ os - got one call - also a KQ - they split the pot and I would have lost.

Cut-off - I have AJ suited - raised again...3 calls - rainbow flop with an Ace - woo hoo!! Someone ahead has gone allin - here we go - I call. Allin had QT os - I won!!

Following Super System, played next hand (in case I'm on a rush) with A2 os - flopped gut straight; turn 3 spades (I have 2 of spades). I bet half the pot - everyone folded. 3 hands - 3 wins. Wish every game was like this.

Called bb with 73s - no help on flop - I folded - rush is over. But I've got 4300 chips...

Meanwhile, back at the Open, almost time for the final pair to tee off - Tiger Woods and Ernie Els.

AQ os under the gun - raised 3 times the BB - two calls. No help flop - for anyone - one call. No help on the turn - bet 1K chips - won the pot.

AJ os - hit A on the river - lost a few chips to a set - another rush comes to a tragic end...

98suited - sb - limped in - flopped middle pair - but there's an allin - I folded.

630am - only 391 players left.

Since the Nazi got knocked out, the table has become civil in terms of chat. Still a lot of allin fools...

Even if I get lucky, I have to leave about 730 - we're going to a Family Reunion at the beach and I forgot to refill my xanax Rx...gonna be a long day...

Open update - nothing exciting yet. Senden Aced 13; but other than that; not much happening - good or bad...Tiger in the fairway on 1. Sergio is having a good day; he made an eagle early and is creeping up the leaderboard...

Funny story. JD Holmes was having dinner on the patio of a local restaurantin Liverpool. In a store window across the street, a woman stripped buck naked and saluted the diners. Evidently she makes a habit of it...JD said, she really shouldn't - not because he's a prude, but because she didn't have the body to make it worth the look.

AJ suited in sb - raised 300 chips - one call. Flopped J - bet pot - won.

Moved tables - a player has his nickname "Lickmyballs" - another class act...

On break and only 291 players left - dropping like flies...

Would love to get a rush and build some chips... then sit out while at the Family reunion and hopefully cash - lol.

Pocket 9s - raised 3 times the bb - guess I'm predictable - gotta mix it up - 2 called - flop K55 - bet - everybody folded - woo hoo!!

74 os - limping in in case I'm on a rush...big raise - I folded...so much for my rush...

Meanwhile back at the Open - Sergio is making a move and is now tied with Tiger and Ernie for the lead at 11 under...Furyk and DiMarco are 1 back. Sergio is 6 under for the day and Furyk is 5 under...

7am - the field have narrowed to 263 - folks are playing more cautiously - after all, 1st place is $10 bucks.

Moved again - at the table with chip leader - he's got 46K and I got 4600.

Pocket As - allin against the leader - lost to River flush - poker happens...

I'll check in after the reunion...stay cool today...

Magpie

No comments: