Thursday, July 19, 2007

Wow!! What A Final Table!!

I made it to 4am but not without a couple of frustrating hours at the beginning.

As I mentioned, I ordered the PPV on espn.com and my husband hooked my computer into our LCD flat screen for more comfortable viewing.

We invited the usual suspects over and Peter and I prepared a "sumptuous" feast - hot dogs and hamburgers with homemade chili and sliced cheese. I also made my "world famous" coleslaw (I use pineapple and both green and red cabbage) and p'nut butter cookies, chocolate chip bars and brownies.

When it came time to sign in suddenly my screen said I didn't have the right specs and to click for requirements, which I did and was advised my computer did indeed have the "right stuff". Just to be sure, I updated my media player and my flash and I was in and running.

I was disappointed that the video was a smaller screen but still on a 42" it was fine for everyone to enjoy.

And then the streaming video began to freeze; sometimes as long as 2-3 minutes. I was a bit annoyed. I called espn.com and they assured me it was my equipment and not their feed. And basically, too bad, no refunds.

We kept re-loading when the freezing went on too long but by the dinner break with four eliminated from the table I had not seen, live, a single hand that led to elimination.

My party broke up after the cookout and around 9pm when the players returned, suddenly the feed was fine and there was not another freeze throughout the rest of the broadcast. (Which leads me to believe it was an espn.com feed problem - we did nothing on our end before the freezing ended and couple with the correction after the dinner break...)

My husband made it to midnight and I made it until the very end and cried like a baby when Jerry Yang talked about his life before he came to the USA and how he planned to use the money for good. Even the most hard-hearted poker pro had to have been moved.

And as Norman Chad said, "this has to be the most that God has ever had to do with a poker game."

I sure learned a lot listening to Phil Gordon and Ali - because we could not see the cards, they had to analyze far more than Norman Chad and the guys on WPT. That was invaluable for me to listen to their process of what they would be thinking and how they would respond to the actions of the players.

And based on that first interview, I think Jerry Yang is gonna be a terrific goodwill ambassador for poker. Congratulations to all the players, even the "stacking chips is better than sex" guy.

No comments: